North Kansas City, Missouri
The Merchandise Department supports the product needs of Helzberg Diamonds by building powerful assortments, wide-ranging price points, bridal dominance, competitive quality and value across multiple fine jewelry categories and time pieces. Our Merchandise Department is responsible for identifying products, negotiating vendor contracts, and analyzing sales data.
We are currently recruiting a Buyer to join our team. Buyers have a significant impact on profitability. They closely manage gross margin and inventory turn. They develop and maintain merchandise assortments for assigned categories while adhering to specific inventory levels and budgets, and meeting product quality standards. Our Buyers also work closely with their DVP to help oversee the activities of Associate Buyers, Assistant Buyers and Detail Assistants.
- Assist with developing plans to achieve merchandising objectives that will enable the company to meet or exceed financial plans. This includes understanding the competitive landscape: researching and testing new product to build the assortment.
- Assist with developing promotion plans to support merchandise and marketing objectives. Plan promotional events for assigned categories and proof catalogs for correct studio photos, realistic color, and accurate copy and pricing.
- Work with Merchandise Planners on assigned categories to achieve planned gross margin and return on investment.
- Develop and manage partnerships with vendors, including negotiating favorable terms and sourcing and developing new items, to ensure all product meets the company's merchandising and financial objectives. Work with vendors to resolve issues. Evaluate vendor performance and select new vendors to meet business needs.
- Oversee development and distribution of communication and training materials to stores regarding merchandise and programs.
- Manage multiple channels of the business. Buyers are responsible for stores and e-com business management, assortment planning and growth.
- Serve as backup for DVP as needed. Manage support staff, and assist with training and development of buying staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Retail Management, Business Administration, or related field and at least seven years of merchandise management experience required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive diamond jewelry knowledge required. Experience working directly in this category preferred.
- Proficiency in product planning and forecasting, vendor negotiations, product management skills, pricing analyses and inventory control required.
- Core buying skills such as identifying emerging trends and new product development are required.
- Strong analytical skills, retail math and proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Experience with the supervision and development of staff.
- Regular, predictable onsite attendance is required to perform the essential functions involving interactive behaviors with co-workers and managers, operation or manipulation of equipment and/or materials located only on site, and direct interaction with internal and/or external customers.