MO - North Kansas City
The Merchandise Department of Helzberg Diamonds has opened an Assistant Buyer position on the Outlet Team that supports all fashion categories. This position requires some prior merchandise assortment development experience, but that experience does not necessarily have to be limited to the jewelry industry.
Our Merchandise Department supports the product acquisition needs of Helzberg Diamonds by building a powerful assortment across multiple fine jewelry and time piece categories. Our Assistant Buyers combine their sense of fashion with their knowledge of jewelry pricing to help Buyers make the best possible acquisition decisions. In short, our Assistant Buyers play a critical role in enabling their particular divisions to acquire jewelry at a fair price in order to bring exceptional value to our customers.
Assistant Buyers work in support of the Buyer, and are given varying degrees of responsibility in the areas of assortment development, pricing, planning, and marketing at the department, class, and sku level. Successful candidates will be skilled at making merchandising decisions from both a fashion and financial point of view.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES INCLUDE:
- Manage all phases of the product development process including the handling of samples and test programs.
- Assist Marketing in selecting product, pricing, layout and item descriptions for assigned categories for catalogs and proof for correct studio photos.
- Work with Merchandise Planners on assigned categories to achieve planned gross margins and return on investment.
- Produce various standing reports for buying team and provide ad hoc reporting and analysis as required.
- Work with vendors to make sure development and delivery of product proceeds as planned.
- Execute assigned merchandise events and develop communications for stores.
- Provide stores with specific transactions and openings as necessary.
- Coordinate with Marketing department to ensure merchandise is presented effectively on website.
- Lead visual merchandise projects to create appealing and effective store layouts
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field and at least 3 yrs. of related retail experience required, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Professional level writing and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong retail math acumen, problem solving skills, and ability to organize and prioritize required.
- Strong computer skills including advanced knowledge of Word and Excel required.
- Ability to correctly identify business and fashion trends as it relates to the retail jewelry business preferred.
- Regular, predictable onsite attendance is required to perform the essential functions involving interacting with co-workers and managers, as well as the operation of equipment and/or materials located only on site.