Director of Jewelry Repair Services
MO - North Kansas City
Helzberg Diamonds is an iconic Kansas City based company that has grown from being a small privately held local business into a national retailer, and Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary. A lot has changed since 1915, but one thing that hasn’t is our commitment to make Helzberg Diamonds a leader in the jewelry industry and a great place to work. The Director of Jewelry Repair Services is currently available and Helzberg is searching for candidates who meet the following criteria:
Responsible for continual sales growth and profitability of in-store and contract jeweler programs. Foster productive and
mutually beneficial relationship between jewelers and stores to maximize jewelry repair sales and improve service levels for
customers. Develop standards, procedures and training for Helzberg jewelers, sales associates and contract jewelers to achieve
sales and profit objectives. Review and revise policies and procedures to enhance the customer experience in the area of
jewelry repair. Develop in-store repair, quality control, P.O.S. and estimate processes to improve customer satisfaction.
Develop strategies and initiatives to raise consumer awareness of Helzberg’s repair services and improve tactics to increase
special event business.
• Strategy: Assist with developing and implementing long-term strategies for delivering jewelry repair services to customers. This will consist of managing and refining processes, analyzing the financials and developing a Human Resource strategy to improve the effectiveness of the overall repair and business model. Manage the bench-test and selection process for in-store and contract jewelers. Build necessary infrastructure for future expansion of Helzberg’s in-house jeweler network. Explore potential centralized shops in metropolitan markets and developing acceptable locations and design layouts for the physical repair shops.
• Liaison: Develop strategies to effectively communicate objectives and initiatives to stores. Travel to locations periodically to conduct on-site reviews, train, communicate initiatives and resolve problems.
• Training: Develop and deliver training programs and videos for Regional Managers, Store Managers and store associates to establish clear repair sales targets and educate them about how to identify and suggest the need for jewelry repair procedures. Teach Store Managers and staffs to run profitable repair shops. Develop and deliver tools to assess skills and measure productivity and profitability levels. Establish, communicate and review health and safety guidelines to comply with all OSHA standards.
• Supplies: Select appropriate supply vendors and lead negotiations with external suppliers to ensure price efficiency, establish standard product assortments and to procure quality equipment and findings for shops. Order jewelry repair equipment for shops and review and approve supply purchases. Explore options for minor customization through in-store special order catalog programs.
• Analyses: Evaluate the productivity and profitability of each in-store repair shop on a monthly basis and take appropriate action to achieve targets. Develop competitive analysis and establish repair pricing structure to increase profitability. Communicate with Store and Regional Managers to maintain focus on profitability and improve jeweler performance as needed. Audit jeweler billing to ensure Helzberg is being charged in accordance with existing jeweler agreements and price lists.
• Contract jewelers: Establish and manage relationships with contract jewelers. Establish pricing, turnaround requirements and quality standards for contract jewelers to achieve targets and monitor overall jeweler expenses. Work with stores and contract jewelers to resolve issues.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred with at least seven years of technical experience in jewelry repairing, manufacturing and/or refining.
• Knowledge of jewelry repair manufacturing required; GIA jewelry training courses preference.
• Good PC skills required, along with strong analytical, financial analysis, negotiation, report writing, presentation and training skills
• Ability to think strategically and resolve complex issues.
• Regular, predictable onsite attendance is required to perform essential functions involving interactive behaviors with co-workers and managers, operation or manipulation of equipment and/or materials located only on site, and direct interaction with internal and/or external customers.