The Finance department of Helzberg Diamonds is conducting a search to fill an Assistant Controller-General Accounting position. Helzberg Diamonds is an iconic Kansas City based company that has grown from being a small privately held local business into a national retailer, and Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary. A lot has changed since 1915, but one thing that hasn’t is our commitment to make Helzberg Diamonds a leader in the jewelry industry and a great place to work.
The Assistant Controller- General Accounting manages accounting activities in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, Helzberg’s corporate policies/procedures, and Berkshire Hathaway policies/procedures for the Accounting function including: Accounting, Accounts Payable, and Travel. This associate is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Helzberg policies/procedures and internal controls to maintain compliance. This role is responsible for the completion of all income tax schedules for external preparer, managing sales/use/property taxes, and is the primary interface to the state taxing authorities.
• Oversee all internal and external financial reporting to ensure accurate financial information is reported to Berkshire Hathaway, and is available to company management personnel for use in the decision making process.
• Oversee the non-merchant accounts payable and travel function to ensure that payments are processed within Helzberg’s and Berkshire Hathaway’s financial policies, procedures and government regulations
• Oversee the year-end tax preparation process and the quarterly review of deferred taxes. Review all book and tax differences for accuracy. Supervise and review tax processes relating to sales and use taxes.
• Identify opportunities to reduce expenses and improve profitability.
• Develop monthly comprehensive Cash forecast.
• Supervise and review general ledger account reconciliations in support of financial reporting accuracy.
• Two directs and 7 indirect reports
• CPA or master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related area and a minimum of seven years of increasing experience in financial reporting, financial systems, budgeting and policy development or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A combination of public and corporate accounting is desired. Experience in retail or jewelry industry is not required.
• Significant experience in supervising and developing a finance staff is required.
• Experience in enterprise-wide accounting information systems is required. Oracle Cloud ERP experience is strongly preferred.
• Superior analytical, interpersonal communication, and project management skills are required.
• Hybrid schedule with predictable onsite attendance required three or more days per week to perform essential functions involving interactive behaviors with co-workers and managers, operation or manipulation of equipment and/or materials located only on site, and direct interaction with internal and/or external customers.
Start a career today!
Join our team at Helzberg Diamonds! We are always looking for passionate and dedicated people to join our team. Let us know about you!
Please ensure all fields have been filled.
Please ensure your firstname has been filled.
Please ensure your lastname has been filled.
Please ensure your email has been filled.
Please ensure your desired job title has been filled.
Please upload a resume.