Senior Payroll Associate
North Kansas City, Missouri
At Helzberg Diamonds the Senior Payroll Associate processes bi-weekly salary and hourly payrolls and the monthly bonus payrolls, ensuring accurate and timely payments to associates and compliance with all federal, state, and local payroll regulations. This position also serves as a back up to the Payroll Manager as needed.
- Initiate the payroll process for all payroll groups. Prepare and process bi-weekly payroll, including auditing associate information for status changes and separations, making adjustments and corrections as needed, downloading associates' hours and variable pay into system, verifying accuracy of all data and ensuring payroll accuracy. Answer questions from associates and assist them with resolving payroll issues.
- Prepare and process monthly bonus payroll. This process includes preparation and analysis of the preliminary reports and review of the bonus program to ensure associates are paid appropriately.
- Balance direct deposits, initiate bank transfer and transmit the positive pay file for payroll checks. Print and distribute payroll checks for small number of associates (typically less than 20). Research and resolve any returned direct deposits.
- Review and audit retirement plan contributions for each payroll. Initiate funding to TPA for company retirement plans. Monitor associate updates for contribution percentages and loan repayments.
- Calculate and prepare complex manual checks when required to support corrections, final checks, or ad hoc payments.
- Oversee preparation, payment and filing of payroll taxes by third-party vendor. This includes end of year processing such as W2 balancing and preparations.
- Maintain garnishment related items, such as submitting to third-party vendor, issuing refunds, and answering associate related questions.
- Run ongoing associate reports and create ad hoc reports for finance management as requested.
- Fully utilize Workday payroll system to ensure payroll processes are optimized. Review and test semi-annual system updates. Partner with IT on special projects.
- Serve as a back up to the Payroll Manager.
- Associate’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred, along with three to five years payroll or accounting experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Deep knowledge of tax and wage laws, and payroll and government regulations required.
- Strong payroll-processing software skills required (Workday preferred).
- Strong report-writing skills preferred.
- Strong Microsoft Excel and basic Microsoft Word skills required.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and organizational skills required.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and able to protect the confidentiality of associate payroll information.
- Able to work independently in a time-sensitive environment with tight deadlines.
- Hybrid schedule with predictable onsite attendance required three or more days per week to perform essential functions involving interactive behaviors with co-workers and managers, operation or manipulation of equipment and/or materials located only on site, and direct interaction with internal and/or external customers.